Seriously. Click on another article if you’re prone to jealousy…
Havana Club Rum launched a competition in January to win an incredible gap year taking in Tokyo, Melbourne, Havana, London, Berlin, Barcelona, Toronto, Melbourne, Rio, Valparaiso, Buenos Aires, Paris and Moscow. 12 months, 12 unforgettable experiences, just one winner.
And I’m the judge. Along with…
- Ben Southall, winner of ‘The Best Job in the World’
- Juan Carlos Tabio, Cuban film director (Guantanamera and Strawberries and Chocolate – omg!)
- Pavel Giroud, Cuban film director (3×2)
- Alejandro Bolivar, Manager of the world famous Floridita Bar
- François Renié, Communications Director at Havana Club International
Between us we’ll decide on who out of the 18 finalists wins the amazing prize.
To say I’m excited is an understatement. The boyfriend is coming with me, and being a total film buff he’s really excited to meet Juan Carlos Tabio too, never mind the rest of the Havana experience. We’re jetting off next Friday (26th) to Havana via Madrid to make the most of the weekend there.
We’re staying at the super amazing Le Parque Central Hotel for a few days – possibly the best hotel I’ll have ever stayed in. I can’t wait to get in that roof pool and get the daiquiris flowing.
The first week will be all about the competition, but the second week we’ll be doing whatever we like. Nothing is booked yet, which being a holiday control freak makes me nervous and excited at the same time. Maybe we’ll stay in Havana, maybe we’ll go to Trinidad, or perhaps take a train to Santiago de Cuba, we’ll see.
Our two-week itinerary will hopefully include…
- Fishing trip
- Snorkelling in Guardalavaca
- Dance lesson
- Tropicana Show
- The beaches of Las Playas del Este
- Trip round the Partagas Cigar Factory
- And the Museo del Rum
- Drinking Daquiris at La Floridita
- Visiting the Hemingway House
Got any other suggestions for me?
You can follow me along the trip @VickyFlipFlop or @gapyeardotcom and using the #HavanaClubGapYear.